Off all the plants I have tried in the past 3 years, roses have done the best in our hot dry summers. There are 3 iceberg tree roses which are probably the most successful. They are carefully staked against the winds and have had no troubles with disease and only a few pests. Today I picked off some aphids but not as many there as on some of the other roses. A fourth tree rose is the Double Delight which housed last spring's hummingbird nest and two tiny babies. In the rose garden are two Veteran's Honor with rich red petals, a small Spellbound, Double Delight and Peace. Sadly the Peace rose is not doing well. The garden is bordered with mini red and white bushes. Mixed in with new lavender plants across from the rose garden are three more Spellbound bushes. Just this morning I pulled away the spreading coreopsis that have tried to choke out these small roses. Here's hoping lavender make better neighbors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment