Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lavender


Last spring I ordered 4 lavender plants from a mail order company that sells through one of the TV shopping channels. What was I thinking? Four plants arrived, two purple and two pink (I think the pink lured me to make the purchase), were planted and died. The vendor promised to replace them the following season so four new plants arrived last week. All are purple since they are no longer offering the pink/purple package. These plants looked very fresh and healthy. I planted three in the ground and one in a pot last Friday. One in the ground and one in the pot are doing well (one already has buds) but the two others in the ground weren't looking so good today. I watered them after work tonight so here's hoping they take root.


Happily the two lantana I moved a couple of weeks ago are sending out new leaves. They had gotten too big for their location and are now in a corner that they can take over. Unhappily a pink lavender from last year was wallowing in a pot with far too much water from all our rain. There was a thin layer of green beginning to cover the top of the soil. Although the plant looked well I thought it would drown and I should move it to a pot with better drainage since lavender are drought tolerant. It proceeded to dry out and die. Green thumb indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment