Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bad seeds

Here's a list of good seeds that have gone bad in the garden in the 909:

Pride of Gibraltar--an interesting flower begun from seed that occasionally pops up again. Planted in 2007 and turned out not to be quite as attractive as they appeared on the seed pack. They get kind of rangy and brown but it could just be the heat here.

Verbena--planted these in a pot in Spring 2008 after seeing something similar in the Tuileries in Paris. Wind and rain spread them around the garden before I could transplant seedlings to back areas of the flower beds. They pop up every year all over the garden. I pull some and let others grow. They do well so I should try them again in the places I would actually like them to grow.

Poppy (Shirley Mixed)--bought for the name but nothing happened with them. I guess I should have tried California poppies.

Nicotiana--started in a pot but died upon transplant

Forget-Me-Nots--completely forgotten

Container Sweet Peas--hoping to bring back childhood memories but it was not to be.

Parisian Pink French Larkspur--supposed to grow in full sun and be 3 to 5 feet tall. I planned to put these near the back of the beds but again no luck.

Merveille de Quatre Saisons--should have been an ornamental lettuce that we could also eat but it was a bunch of nothing and certainly didn't look the vegetable garden at Villandry.

Foxgloves--tried in the front planter where they would have some shade. They did OK but not great. Perhaps worth another try.

Fine Leaf Chives--Started in February 2008 but again did almost nothing.

The garden continues to be an ongoing experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment