Sunday, May 30, 2010

Buzzer bird is back


Last year a hummingbird built a nest in the Double Delight rose tree and hatched two babies. It was great fun to watch and we are pretty sure both babies survived and flew off. I managed to capture a photo of one of them after its first flight as far as a vine on the block wall and then disappear later.


This week we began to notice a humming bird or birds in the garden again. Today as I weeded I spotted a female building a nest in the tall Bella Roma rose bush. We left last year's nest untouched in hopes she would return but if this is the same bird she chose a different rose bush. I hope this leaf stem will be sturdy enough in the wind. I moved the trash cans as far from her nest as I could and will not deadhead her bush until the babies have hatched and left the nest. This bush is further from the patio and walkway so we will not disturb her as much as we did last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment